Thursday, December 8, 2011

Taking Action

It feels good to be taking an assertive approach to confront this disease. For decades I have been at it's mercy and have only had passive strategies to deal with it: rest, sleep, bed rest, eating "gut calming" foods like oatmeal and rice for days at a time, sleep, sick days from work, oatmeal and rice, rest, sleep, etc. etc. Not to mention lots of doctors and pharmacy visits, many surgeries and stays in the hospital. So assertive feels real good!!

Today I restructure my kitchen. It is small so storage is an issue. Storage is needed because I am stocking my "pantry" with msg free items. Nothing is getting past my front door that has it. (Lord willing and the creek don't rise!) That means experimenting with a lot of ingredients and cooking from scratch.

It feels good. I am going to try a gluten free bread mix. (consider being tested for celiac disease or at least check out the symptoms list. It can coincide with Crohns. I didn't test positive for it but I am thinking I could benefit from reducing my gluten intake.)

Oh, the granola energy bars turned out awesome yesterday. ( recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/granola-energy-bars/detail.aspx)
Even my gut is starting to settle down again affirming and giving me hope I am on the right track.

What started out as a daunting task is now becoming a course of strategies. For those trying to do the same, I am going to try and leave a trail of bread crumbs or better yet, trail signs.

1) Print out the list of alternative names for msg (http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html) and ingredients affected by processing. Read, read, read not just the ingredient labels but everything written on the package!!
(*See note at end of this post from Truth in Labeling website on hydrolization)

Don't forget to look for "natural flavoring" I thought Perdue chicken was safe. They don't label msg ingredients, but on the front of the packaging in beautiful, bold lettering are the words "Natural Flavoring" I couldn't believe it. Its hidden in plain site as bold as could be!! Just not located on the packaging where I thought it should be!

2). Start eliminating what is already in your house. This can be a bit frustrating and scary because it feels like you have to throw out half your fridge and pantry stuff. But heh, if it saves us health care costs, keeps us out of the hospital and standing vertical then it's a cheap way to go, right!
It's also frustrating because I thought I had been doing this for the last few years but the food industry has made a big shift in just the last 6-12 months and products that use to be safe, changed. Like adding Soy Lethicin as a stabilizer to many products that use to be safe and the recent labeling strategy of "sea salt". (Again, sea salt isn't the culprit, but labeling the ingredient sea salt is a strategy to hide an msg derivitive).

3) Identify your favorite foods and look for replacements if necessary. This disease robs you of so much that I need some reliable favorites. I hate the idea of having to always eat bland unappetizing food. There are so many good recipes out there and websites that can help you adapt recipes. I decided if this was going to work for me I needed some staple recipes that I like and that can provide some convenience like the "convenient" foods that I have lost. I like to cook but let's face it, a person has a lot more to do than just cook. I love you grandma and grandpa, but I don't think I can go back to farming, canning and hunting for my own food. I do miss your home grown potatoes and raspberry pie!!

So finding a recipe for granola energy bars that I can make a big batch and package in serving sizes is going to free up breakfast time and provide a snack that I like (plus the bonus of good nutrition). The great part about this recipe is you can adapt it and substitute the ingredients you like)

Pizza. I haven't found a good substitute yet. May have to come up with a different Friday night option.

Soup is another "need for me" I have always turned to soups for nutrition on "bad gut" days when I can't eat fresh produce. Common known brand soups are notorious for having msg. Again Amy's brand fit the need. Please check their ingredients because their noodle soup does have msg, but the majority of the other soups are safe.
Of course making your own is great (watch out for purchased stock or broth) but I needed convenience for days when I am too sick to cook. I know you are thinking - what about fresh produce? That is a big issue that I have yet to fully research and tackle. One day at a time!

Dairy: The jury is still out on this one but as said in a previous post (see "how to eat an elephant...post)
I am buying organic whole milk from a reputable source. If you are lactose intolerant you can look for digestive aids. Of course many turn to soy milk but I haven't found a rice, almond or soy milk yet that is safe for me. They have thickeners added like carrageenan. I am researching a kitchen appliance that you can use to make it yourself but would rather not add more work if I don't have to.

Yogurt. I have been using yogurt for years to reintroduce good probiotic bacteria into my gut after flare ups of the disease. Yesterday, I found the only one I think might be safe and that is Stonyfield organic, whole milk, (remember reduced fat or low fat can contain powdered milk which will have msg due to processing) plain, "smooth and creamy" yogurt. Wish me luck!!

Otherwise I have seen recipes to make your own in a crock pot or you can buy the expensive probiotic over- the- counter products.

Protein: yet another big issue to tackle. Stay tuned.

Well that's a start. Tomorrow I will continue to update you on my pantry changes. Have a great MSG free day.



* Hydrolization: MSG can be freed from protein during processing or manufacturing given appropriate conditions. For example, any ingredient that contains a bit of protein can be hydrolyzed if hydrochloric acid, enzymes, heat, and/or other substances or conditions that cause glutamic acid to be separated out of its host protein are present, resulting in some processed free glutamic acid (MSG). Hydrolyzation of protein inevitably creates some (processed) free glutamic acid (MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment