Monday, March 24, 2014

Crohns and Food
What a difficult and confusing topic.  Crohn's disease is all about the digestive track.  And every professional advises that food does not cause Crohn's disease. With that said, food definitely correlates with everything about the disease.

The longer I live with the disease, the more complicated my relationship is with food. I am going to try to share my perspective on this topic, but please remember that everyone is unique in this disease.  One size does not fit all.  It is about trial and error which is frustrating but worth the effort.
 As I think about how to share my experiences (in hope of helping another) I suggest that you have to think about your food strategy in phases.  Phases in this disease include: "the Flare", deficiencies during a "Flare", Healing Phase, Remission phase, and then sadly, start all over again.

 The Flare
My strategy is to identify foods that are kind to my gut.  When I had my whole digestive track in place it was all about the avoidance of the pain of diarrhea while trying to maintain hydration and still try to maintain my weight.  Not easy!   The following website lists the top thirteen foods for Crohn's patients.  http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20559874,00.html

Oatmeal and chicken soup with an electrolyte water have been my mainstay during flares.  But that's just me.  The key is to find out what works for you.

Deficiencies during a flare.
I have a wonderful internist who is very good about doing blood work to see what deficiencies I need to supplement.  A detailed site on diet and nutrition can be found at http://www.ccfa.org/resources/diet-and-nutrition.html

Identifying the deficiencies includes knowing what part of your gut is diseased and the nutritional
function that is lost when that area is not working properly.  Balancing deficiencies is critical to
preventing future problems, complications or even secondary disease.  (Because of medication side effects, I was diagnosed with Diabetes three years ago).

Top Ten Deficiencies
The following is a list of top ten vitamin or mineral deficiencies associated with Crohns. http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20562810,00.html. What can be confusing is that different doctors and different professional websites can list different deficiencies.  My recommendation, find a good internist (along with your Gastro) who can be a detective for you.  Please do this with a doctors assistance. It's to dangerous to guess at this.

Here is an excerpt that shows researched common deficiencies related to Crohns.
The diets of most patients who have IBD are deficient in one or more vitamins or minerals. Vitamin D and vitamin K deficiencies are frequently found in those with Crohn’s disease, as 

well as deficiencies in iron, vitamin B6, carotene, vitamin B12, and albumin (protein). Patients with Crohn’s disease are usually under increased oxidative stress and have lower 
levels of antioxidant vitamins. Supplementation with vitamins C and E reduces oxidative stress. 
From the website. http://www.lef.org/PDFMaker/MakePDF.aspx?a=1&pdf=1&fn=LE-PAGEID-
113899&url=http://www.lef.org/Health-Wellness/LECMS/PrintVersionMagic.aspx?CmsID=113899

On my next post I will discuss other options being used including the GAPS diet.

My most important advice to you is be assertive on researching your illness and expecting the help and care you deserve.
 This is challenging and if you are too sick get someone like a family member to help you.  Sadly doctors don't know everything and it takes a "village" to support us.
Ask yourself:
What support do I need to put in place?
Does my doctor seem unwilling to help?  Find someone new or add on another professional in the area that is neede.  (Such as pain management, nutrition, stress relief, identifying nutritional deficiencies, mental health therapist, etc.).

Best wishes on your journey to wellness




No comments:

Post a Comment